Sunday, September 27, 2015

Benjamin's Arrival

Benjamin's induction was scheduled for 5:30 on the morning of Wednesday, September 23rd. We all did our best to get a good night's sleep and headed to the hospital dark and early. 

Before changing into my lovely hospital gown, I got one last belly pic...39 weeks exactly!


By 6:30 I was hooked up to the pitocin and by 7:30 I had my epidural. My doctor arrived around 8:00 and broke my water and things were progressing nicely. I was feeling pretty good for awhile, the mood was light and I was able to get a little rest.



But by about 10:00 that comfortable feeling started to change. As soon as I got the epidural I knew it was stronger on the left side than the right, since my left leg went numb almost immediately and my right took a while. I'm not sure what happened, but a couple of hours in, it was as if all of the anesthesia was going to that left leg and no where else because I could feel every contraction...and increasingly more intensely with each one. (I know now that all of the anesthesia really was just going to the left leg because it remained numb until about midnight that night when the rest of me was perfectly fine within a couple of hours.)


I was completely unprepared mentally for labor and delivery without a functioning epidural. Jackson and Andrew's labors had both been relatively easy and I was prepared for a three-peat. It hadn't even crossed my mind that this was a possibility. Prepared or not, by 11:00, the contractions were coming with only about 30 seconds between them and I was doing my best to breathe and count and focus (and cry) through each one with my mom coaching me through it. The anesthesiologist came back and was confident he would be able to bring me some relief. He was wrong. His best effort made absolutely no difference (except to make my left leg even more numb) and the only option was to try and replace the epidural. Thankfully I didn't have to face that since a final check at 11:15 determined that I was complete and ready to push...sans a working epidural. Mom assured me I had already made it through the worst part. She was right. 

Once Dr. South arrived and just a few pushes later, at 11:36 AM, sweet Benjamin entered the world. 



After a few moments with mom, he was whisked away for his initial once over, foot printing, and to get outfitted with all of his bracelets.

Classic picture of newborn Ben. He loves to have his hands on his face. 
Once he was properly outfitted and sufficiently pink he was returned to mom for lots of snuggles.

Very soon all of his adoring fans began to arrive to meet him, starting with his big brothers!


Andrew was immediately smitten, as were all of his grandparents and aunties.






A little while later his nurse arrived to record his official measurements and to give him his first bath. At 7lbs, 14 oz, he's still above average but our littlest baby by almost a pound! Given the circumstances of his labor and birth, I'm so so so grateful he wasn't a 9 pounder. 

Despite daddy's best effort, it was not the most enjoyable bath he will ever have...


But back in mommy's arms, all was again right in his world...and mine. Welcome to the world precious Benjamin!








1 comment:

  1. This is so so sweet! The first picture when they're plopped on your check and you see them for the first time - brings me to tears even today! So glad it was a quick labor, and he's so precious! It's getting me excited for mine :-) Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete